Total Regions: 23
Visitors (30 Days): 14
Total Residents: 478
Online Now: 0
Hypergriders online: 0

jOpenSim3

8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #2268 by foto50
Hi folks

jOpenSim3 is now the official name for the project "jOpenSim compatible for Joomla 3.x". It is currently still under heavy development, but a few things can be told now already ;)

jOpenSim3 will not just be some sort of legacy hack to make it compatible for Joomla 3.x but a complete rewrite. This is also one of the reasons why it still isnt published yet.

Here is just a basic overview for your patience:
  1. Config on central place: all configuration will be done in the "Global Configuration" ... you will not need to make config settings for maps, search or anything else anymore on a different place
  2. Map New: the new grid map implementation will be based on Google Maps with a very flexible way to configure ... for a further version even bookmarks/favorites are planned
  3. Images: the GetTexture service of OpenSim will be used for displaying e.g. profile pictures or classifieds on your website
  4. Debugging has more features, like truncating the log file directly from the config or a reminder not to forget to disable it again

The terminal-Addon will be disabled for the first version of jOpenSim3 though.

But all together, jOpenSim will sure not just be a continuation of the component you currently know, but an enhancement for the work flow of grid owners.

But as usual, I care very much for your input to keep jOpenSim a rocking webinterface for OpenSim in future. I'm planning a mantis page with a demo Joomla with the latest dev version for those who are interested to check it out and give feedback before releasing.

If you're interested, reply here or contact me directly via email :)

Greetz
FoTo50
The following user(s) said Thank You: DigDug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 11 months ago #2269 by DigDug
I am interested! :D This is VERY good news! I can't wait to see what you've done!
The following user(s) said Thank You: foto50

8 years 11 months ago #2270 by foto50
Hi DigDug :)

Long time no read ;)

I tried to setup a demo grid today but failed due to some (seems like) mono issues. I hope to succeed tomorrow ;)

I setup a mantis today, but actually think this is not what we need (yet). At this state I think a constructive discussion is better than some sort of bug report ;)

I guess best way is to create a special topic here in the forum with access only to who is willing to participate with constructive input and a demo Joomla with administrative access connected to a demo grid with 1 or 2 regions for testing.

I'll keep u updated here as soon as it works :)

Greetz
FoTo50

8 years 11 months ago #2271 by DigDug
I am sooooo excited. If you were here, you'd be getting a HUGE hug! I'll keep an eye out for more info!
The following user(s) said Thank You: foto50

8 years 11 months ago #2273 by foto50
Hehehe, be careful ;) I might demand this hug one day :P even if just scripted inworld in jOpenSimWorld :silly:

Update to demo version: the server (or rather the mono version) planned for this simply just does not want to be compatible with OpenSim ... I'll do a rotation of a few things/clients to free another server asap :)

Greetz
FoTo50

8 years 11 months ago #2274 by foto50
Ok, here we go :woohoo:

I finally have setup a small test grid with a few regions and a Joomla with the current alpha version of jOpenSim3.

For those interested in participating, checking out and giving feedback, please register at testgrid.jopensim.com . Since there is no self activation and I will refuse to activate those fake registrations, please be sure that I recognize your registration there ;) ... if it takes longer than 24 hours, pls msg me or leave a post here

Greetz
FoTo50

8 years 11 months ago #2275 by DigDug
I will be more than happy to give you a hug! ;-) Anyway I'll try logging in today and send you a pm of my login name!

Thanks so much!

8 years 11 months ago #2276 by DigDug
Ok, got an account and I did try to log in, but the approval is working, 'cause I can't log in. ;-) I like how it looks so far. I am wondering, will you have it so we can pick avatars when we sign up? I did like that feature.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

8 years 10 months ago #2277 by DigDug
This looks GREAT! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

8 years 10 months ago #2278 by foto50
Worked on maps today - you can see latest changes on testgrid.jopensim.com/index.php/devstatus .

I spent quite some time today without success (yet) on pagination and the changes might seem minor but I found out quite a few new things about Joomla3 today that will speed up next steps in development I think :)

Next step: as I work on maps now already, I want to make the frontend ready to take all those config values take affect now.

DigDug: yes of course, the "select avatar" will for sure be implemented again :) I'll need some brainstorming though to find maybe an easier way for configuring it. In the current versions many users in some grids ended up as a cloud due to some difficulty in understanding how to setup this feature ;)

For now I think, the configuration part is finished (unless somebody has additional ideas) and I'll now focus on the adminstration for all the parts (maps, users, etc).

Greetz
FoTo50

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

Search

Donate jOpenSim

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount

Our Regions

Region: Loc X: Loc Y:
Agora 1000 998
BareBad… 997 997
Bohemas 996 998
BoraBor… 1002 999
Crystal… 1001 1000